Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Want to be Miserable? No? Are you sure??

One day last week I forgot something I was supposed to do. It was an event where I was expected and for which I had accepted the invitation. In my defense I am perpetually attending similar events and I was in a post-migraine fog. But that did NOT stop me from feeling terrible about it. I sent my regrets and should have then moved on to the next item on my considerable list of things to do without giving it any more thought. That is what I would have advised a friend in the same situation to do. But was that what I did? Oh no, not me. I masticated, ruminated, and self-flagellated for the rest of the day. I have perfected this set of actions and now am really, really good at the process. That evening I was gloomily beating myself up a little more and performed some sort of pitiful search--have forgotten the terms I used. I came across this site: http://www.dumblittleman.com/2009/05/10-ways-to-make-yourself-and-everyone.html
Wow! I thought! I am doing every one of these things! Also I noticed the URL. Hmmmm maybe I was not being so smart. It made me laugh and I found myself feeling better on the spot. The experience provided a much needed kick in the pants and I bookmarked the site with some appropriate tags.

But wait! There's more! I started looking around the Dumb Little Man site. There are all kinds of tips to help you be less dumb about a plethora of things! There is a section on technology, with titles such as How To Effectively Manage Your Online Reputation and other topics that are worth considering in today's high pressure, information driven world and life. You can even buy a t-shirt that has a rain cloud and lightening on it to wear on days when you are feeling especially gloomy and dumb. I am resisting the temptation to order for now, in favor of taking a more positive outlook instead. Too often I remind myself of Joe Btfsplk. Remember him? He was the guy in Lil' Abner comics who always had a rain cloud above his head: Joe Btfsplk
I don't think I am alone in needing a reminder not to be like poor ol' Joe. Anyone else want to own up?

No comments:

Post a Comment