Sunday, July 5, 2009

DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT...

The first time I went to London was in 2002, and I was "shadowing" one of my heroes, Dr. Bonnie Thorne, who was actually leading the travel study group. I carried my beloved 35 mm camera and an extra telephoto lens. That was the only "gadget" I took. My cell phone would have been useless and it never occurred to me to carry my laptop. We DID have computer access at the dorm in Regent's College where we stayed. Things are much different now, though. Here is a list of must-have items for travel:
  • Netbook--Asus eee computer
  • Kindle2
  • iPhone (of course!)
  • Casio Exilim camera (brand new)
  • Wireless modem
These items go with me everywhere, now that I think of it, whether it is for a couple of nights with Dad in the Texas Hill Country or on an international trek. The only thing that varies is which/how many computers. I will probably take my big MacBookPro if I am driving, for instance. How about you? What are your must-haves???

6 comments:

  1. Macbook
    Canon Powershot Digital Camera
    Flip Video
    Cell Phone
    iPod
    many wires and chargers :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Forgot my Flip Cam! Going to get and thanks for reminder and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to take at least a six port power strip to conferences, and if I have room a six-foot orange extension cord. One can make many nw friends at conferences when outlets are few. It is easy to find the few outlets as there will be a couple of people with strategically moved chairs near them. I make a beeline to them and whip out the powerstrip to add to their fun. Never fails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Pogue of NYT had an interesting article about what he takes along; lots of people asked him.
    http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/25/whats-in-pogues-travel-bag-literally/
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Net Cam even though I have one built in to the laptop I use, powerstrip with 6 outlets and an 8ft cord, headset with mic, backup battery for the laptop, all the assorted usb connection cables and I am alost to the point of carrying a USB hookup with 7 USB's for the equipment and computer. Good list of items you are collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, still fairly lo-tech; laptop and cell phone. ;-}

    ReplyDelete